My husband and family often laugh at me when I refer to my books as my friends. My favorites I tend to hang on to and revisit. Just today at lunch, some colleagues of mine and I were talking about some of our favorite books of all time and I started reminiscing about my old friends. So I am going to try to list some of my all time favorite books and why. These are in no particular order, hell just narrowing them down to this list was difficult enough.
- The Great Gatsby – as an American history teacher and lover, this book encompassed one of my favorite decades. Fitzgerald did an amazing job portraying lust, love, deception, crime and history all in one entertaining novel.
- East of Eden – John Steinbeck’s first novel and my favorite of his. The retelling of the Book of Genesis set at the turn of the 20th century. I can’t rave enough about this novel. I have just picked it up to re-read!!!
- Wuthering Heights – I have a love/hate with Heathcliff and I think you will agree
ifwhen you read it. Emily Bronte’s The romance and complexity between Catherine and Heathcliff is at times too intense to read. I LOVE IT
- Pride and Prejudice – I think I fell in love with Mr. Darcy my freshman year in college when I first read this book. There is just something mysterious and lovely about him. The relationship he and Elizabeth share is so unnerving at times. This novel makes me feel that the courtship style dating needs to return to modern days.
- Same Kind of Difference as Me – I think this book taught me how to be a better person. How to not look at someone and assume I know what type of person they are. This story of two complete opposites building a unique unexpected friendship, is one of the most beautiful stories I have EVER read. I had to put the book down many times because I couldn’t read through the tears.
I have so many more that I could go on forever…this is just a glimpse.
PLEASE share your faves!!!!