A friend was recently telling me about the ideas and premise of Tony Robbins, the motivational and life coach. Robbins explains that YOU are in charge of YOUR OWN outcome. If you are sad, you and only you have the ability to make you happy again. It is your choice…your decision… and ultimately the outcome is based on you.
This has had me really thinking lately. I have no one else to blame for my down days except me. I am in control of my actions and reactions. That is why I have started paying attention to little details in my daily life that ultimately make a big difference.
– I have always liked the idea of working out in the morning because a.) you burn more calories throughout the day and b.) life gets too hectic when everyone else in the house is up and going. Therefore, this entire week I have worked out in the morning….no excuses. The alarm goes off, I snooze for 5 more minutes and then I am up and out the door to the gym. I have felt great this week!!! It was my choice!
– Kids will be kids. After working with precious teenagers all week, often times I come home with very little patience. I have tried to maintain composure, not get overly upset at the mistakes my own babies make. I am trying to verbal discuss Monkey’s wrong choices without raising my voice (this is one I still need a bit more practice on). Just Breathe!!
– Just because the hubs doesn’t do every little romantic thing I have conjured up in my mind, doesn’t mean he isn’t showing my his love in his own way. I don’t need a dozen rose petals laid out across the bed, I don’t need a poem detailing his love (ok…maybe bad examples…those are all cheesy in my book!) I am completely thrilled when he rinses off all the dishes in the sink and leaves them to be put in the dishwasher…that is another piece of love…he knows that I am uber anal-retentive with my dishwasher space…JUST LET ME DO IT!!!!
I am in control of my emotions. I am in control of pain and pleasure. I am the sayer of what I want to do. I know that there are consequences and rewards for things I do or choose not to do. I am loving the fact that I am in this state of realization. I know that God is not going to give me anything that I can not handle. His faith in me and mine in Him has more power than anything else.
How do you get through life’s daily trials and tribulations?
So I am sure there are so many unwritten rules of parenting. They have been passed down through the years, generation after generation. Well…in my house, these rules are meant to be broken.
1. No throwing things in the house!!!! I have to say that we definitely do not follow this rule. My husband and my son are constantly throwing a football or basketball. I did however draw the line at no golf clubs in the house and no punting. The rest is a free for all. One of the greatest laughs is watching Monkey go for a long pass, run it in for a touchdown, spike it and then show off his latest touchdown dance! My husband is always practicing his latest trick shot that banks off the high walls…off his head…and into the basket. Of course Monkey has to follow suit and attempt it. AND….the only person to have broken anything knock on wood, is ME!!!! I attempted one of the hubs’ trick shot and hit the lampshade….cracking it. OOPS!!!! I did mention this all takes place in my living room right???
2. No staying up late!!! This rule has to be broken for us to have quality time together. Whoever thought working in education meant getting off at 3:30 is sadly mistaken. My schedule usually has me getting out of school on most days at 4:30 and depending on games it maybe close to 9 before I leave….at night! My hubs coaches and that is a crazy hectic schedule all in itself! The average time home is between 6 and 7pm. Buggy gets about an hour with him and it kills him. So being the awesome mom I am, Monkey gets to stay up and play with Dad. Bed time at our place is about 9. He maybe a bit cranky but being able to spend time with his dad outweighs the negatives!
3. So his socks don’t match…so what! At least he is dressed and he did it himself. I don’t think mismatched socks is the end of the world. Life goes on and he is proud of his accomplishment!
4. Yep, my kids watch TV…and OMG he watches it falling asleep I monitor the programs my kids watch and I make sure that there is an educational purpose behind each and every one of them…but I let them watch it and I do use it as a babysitter during certain times. I am pretty sure a good dose of Wild Kratts or Special Agent Oso will not hurt while I make dinner, do the laundry or have a moment of me time!!! AND YES!!! my son watches tv every night while he falls asleep. Hey moms…get a tv with a sleep timer on it. He has 30 mins and then lights out. I have had no issues and he knows that when show goes off…its time to go to bed, if he isn’t asleep before that.
5. Bath times don’t occur daily! I have to admit it…there have been times when I could not remember when I gave my kids a bath. I know that it had been in the past week…maybe week and a half. OOPS…what mom/dad out there has not experienced that??? If you say you haven’t QUIT LYING!!!! As they are getting older…play harder…and eat messier food – independently (food in hair) I have been more diligent about bath times. Let’s face it, you have worked hard, exhausted, dinner cooked, kitchen cleaned and all you want is to sit on the couch and relax….that extra 15-20 minutes of bath time is just something that can be put off until tomorrow!
Moms and dads…rules are meant to be broken!!!
Which rules are you guilty of breaking????
Ever since the day he was born, my son has had a basketball in close proximity. As he grew he has had adjustable goals perfect for whatever stage he was in during his life.
As a coach’s son it only makes sense that he practices all the time. In fact there is at least one type of sports ball flying through my living room every night. Of course, it’s only fitting that the only one who has ever broken anything was me…go figure!!!
This very evening, as I sit here and type, I am watching my son mimic plays his daddy shows him on the television. ESPN or FSSW is blaring on the tv and in any given minute Monkey yells ” whoa Dad, did you see that” or “yeah baby” then ball in hand, he mirrors the player’s moves and executes with perfection, this coming from his mom, yet so true!
Recently, I have signed him up for his first year in organized sports and my heart feels as if is going to burst with pride. It’s in his blood….the competition, the playing and practicing until he is past exhaustion. I see no video games in his future. He is all about the action. He is all about the feeling of a basketball or football or club in his hand.
I am ready for many years of sports. And it may be too soon to tell, but Bugs is quickly following in her brother’s footsteps!
I can do it myself, Mom….
The words every mother is happy to hear and dreads at the same time.
Filling his cup with water
Brushing his teeth
Buckling his seat belt
It has been my job as the primary caretaker to do everything for my children. Now Monkey feels the need to be independent…sniff sniff (luckily Buggy is still VERY dependent on mom)
I know…I know…this is what I have been teaching him for the past 3 years but my heart sinks a bit more every time those words come out of his mouth.
As we were having cuddle time last night I asked him if he will always need his mommy and to my delight, he said YES!!!!
So Monkey was a royal terror yesterday. His Pops was coming to visit and I didn’t want to risk the chance of him sleeping through the visit, so I had the great idea that we would just skip nap time.
Whoa…that 2 hours of slumber makes a HUGE difference. By 3:00 he was wild and definitely belonged in a zoo. I was getting glares, whines and back talk. I was greatly regretting my decision.
UNTIL….it was close to nite-nite time and he laid on my chest and said the most awesome thing that made all the crappy stuff from earlier just disappear.
“mommy..i love you. you and daddy are my best friends.”
then he tucked his arm under me and was out….at the same time my heart melted.
SO my hubs tells me not to worry about it….”he’s a two-year old” – “he doesn’t really mean it”…BUT my son never wants mommy when daddy is home. If he falls, he runs to daddy, even though mommy has magic kisses. In the middle of the night, when he is scared, it’s daddy’s name that he calls. It makes me sad and when he wipes my kisses off, my feelings do get hurt. I know that he really does love me and it is all a stage, but as I have been watching the Disney movies with him lately I have noticed…where are all the moms?
Finding Nemo….she died at the very beginning.
Beauty and the Beast….mom died as well
Cinderella….step mom is EVIL!
WHAT THE HECK????? My son needs movies with strong moms!!!!
What are your thoughts?
So Monkey was sick and I had to stay home for a second day. We were getting a bit stir crazy so we got creative. I remembered making crayon chunks when I was a kid so we gave it a shot. The result was great. I think his words were “so cool Mom”
Step One: Cut off all the paper from crayons and snap in pieces.
Step Two: Spray a muffin tin with vegetable spray and place broken crayons in cups
Step three: Put muffin pan in oven, preheated to 275°, for approximately 10 minutes
Step Four: Place in fridge for about 20 minutes to harden. I stirred the wax right out of the oven to create the swirl effect.
Step Five: turn pan over to dump chunks out and enjoy!
What creative crafts or activities do you do when your little one is sick at home or stuck indoors due to bad weather? Share!!!
Life has been super busy and a super blessing. I can not apologize for not writing as much, seeing as how I am spending all my extra time with my family. At this point blogging requires me to get up before the rest of the house and let’s face it, that does not happen often. I would like to catch my readers up on what is going on in the life of a normal girl…
Work – Fifth grade is turning out to be not so bad. I have a special place in my heart for this age group. They are so torn…to act like big kids and not wanting to grow up. They try to act tough but are sent to tears so easily. I have fallen in love with one of my kiddos. I ask the hubs on a daily basis if we can adopt him. His home life is not so great, mom is facing prison time and an elderly grandma has custody of him and should not be responsible for him due to her health. I pray about it all the time. I did ask his grandma if the hubs and I can take him to TCU games and Keene games, seeing as he is a BIG sports fan. She was so excited with my offer.
School – Ladies and gentlemen…I have 2 class days left until my graduate school career is over…for now anyway. I finish on October 29th, first of two tests on Nov 12. and Graduation on Dec 17th. I can’t believe that it is nearly done!!! AMEN!
Faith – I have recently volunteered to lead a small group for my church. I am so excited. I got up early this morning to start preparing and I am stoked. I have wanted to do this for a while but my schedule has not allowed it until now. Please keep me in your prayers as I prepare for this new endeavor. I feel that the Lord has led me to this and I want to glorify Him.
Family – The hubs is doing good. This is such a busy time for him and we don’t get to see him as much as we would like during the week. Basketball season is getting closer and we all couldn’t be happier. I am pretty sure Maddox is a gym rat in the making. I took the kids to the gym for a fall league game…and to see daddy. As soon as we left the gym she started crying; when we returned she stopped. Awesome! Jax was the same way. My kids love noise…that is a great thing for a mom and coach’s wife! Maddox just turned 3 months and is so incredibly happy all the time. She is holding her head up on her own…most of the time. She is a talker and loves to smile. Jax is battling the wonderful allergy season but otherwise doing very well. He loves going to school and is learning so much. The stuff that comes out of his mouth is astounding. I love every minute of it.
I am not going to make any promises as to how much I will write. I will say that I would like to write weekly. A “thankful Thursday” piece. We shall see. I wish everyone a wonderful day, week, etc. Until next time….
If you haven’t done so, please subscribe to recieve my posts automatically. Look for the RSS button or enter your email! Thanks and much love.
So I am not going to start off this post by apologizing for my absence….I will simply say HELLO AGAIN! Times have been quite chaotic around the household and now I have getting back on track…for today anyway. Since I last wrote:
- Work ended….I helped graduate a great group of kiddos that I will truly miss, but I am excited to see them enter their next chaper of life. I pray that God will take them all in the direction of good choices and that they are all safe!
- I accepted a new position – I will teach 5th grade self contained next year. I am sooo excited to be working with this age group and the people at the elementary just seem amazing! It was VERY bittersweet for me to leave the high school. That has been my work family for over 5 years and I will miss them dearly!
- Summer grad school has started – I am trying my very best to stay on top of all my assignments while enjoying my summer.
- The remodel of our downstairs is 95% complete! I at least have a working toilet downstairs…no more pregnant calls to the potty UPSTAIRS 2-3 times a night! Thank you to the Dennings and my BIL who helped put it back together!
- Jaxon and I are having a blast everyday together. I absolutely love watching him grow and learn at such an amazing rate. This will be a hard summer to leave. I will however NOT miss Toy Story 2. We watch it/or its at least on the TV, at least twice a day. He is a bit obsessed!
- NOW….we are awaiting the birth of our daughter, Maddox. She has already stated that she will be a handful. I have been in the hospital twice with false labor and at my last doctor’s appt we discovered that she is breech so I have a scheduled c-section next Tuesday. I am so ready to meet her!
SO what now???
We plan on taking the rest of the summer and just relaxing and enjoying every minute of it. I will not stress about school, work or anything else. I will dwell in every moment the Lord bestows upon my family. I have been blessed with amazing family members and friends that will take care of us and shower us with love.
Isn’t that what life is all about?
“There is nothing better for a man, than that he should eat and drink, and that he should make his soul good in his labor. This also I saw, that is was from the hand of God.”
Two years ago I woke up in a hospital bed at 1:30am knowing that today was going to be the day that I would become a mom. I was never scared of labor or delivery…I was terrified of what kind of mother I was going to me. Would I make the right choices? How do I know what is right? Will he know how much I love him? Will he love me as much? After much walking, rocking, and pushing…14 hours to be exact…Jaxon Wesley Hill came into this world with 10 beautful toes and 10 beautiful fingers. I have not been the same person since.
It amazes me everyday how much I change because of him. I have learned patience, unconditional love and the miracle of God. What a blessing!!!! I now know that with his father and I, through God, Jaxon will never know what it feels like to be unloved. I am not sure what I was before, but I take great pride in knowing that I am now MOM.
With Maddox on the way; I feel extra blessed. He has given me the opportunity to spread His love to my children and teach them how to be productive citizens of this earth and follow the golden rule.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAXON!!!!!!!!!
Isn’t it the pits when you have so much to say and that one time a year….you have no voice to say it with? As of right now, I alternate sounding like a gaspy old lady that has smoked a billion cigs or a man. I am not sure which is better. Trying to tame a 12th grade class of rowdy kids when I can barely hear myself. Now I have to try and communicate with my son without scaring him half to death. I can just imagine what is going through his head….MOMMY, WHAT”S WRONG WITH YOUR VOICE??????????
I ALSO have a lot to say in my book writing process. The problem is….I don’t know where to start. I have begun and I am stuck. I have it in my head, however getting it out on the computer is a whole other story.
I need my new MacBook Pro that I will be purchasing for myself for Christmas. I of course get the writing bug at 2AM…but it’s just to dang cold to get out of bed…(this is wear the laptop comes in!) My hubs will love me for that!